Parish of Christ Church with St Philip
Safeguarding Policy Promoting a Safer Church
In accordance with the Church of England Safeguarding Policy, our church is committed to:
- promoting a safer environment and culture
- safely recruiting and supporting all those with any responsibility related to children, young people and vulnerable adults within the church
- responding promptly to every safeguarding concern or allegation
- caring pastorally for victims/survivors of abuse and other affected persons
- caring pastorally for those who are the subject of concerns or allegations of abuse and other affected persons
- responding to those who may pose a present risk to others.
The parish will:
- create a safe and caring place for all
- have a named Parish Safeguarding Officer (PSO) to work with the Incumbent and the PCC to implement policy and procedures
- safely recruit, train and support all those with any responsibility for children, young people and adults to have the confidence and skills to recognise and respond to abuse
- ensure that there is appropriate insurance cover for all activities involving children and adults undertaken in the name of the parish
- display on church premises and on the parish website the details of whom to contact with safeguarding concerns or support needs
- listen to and take seriously all those who disclose abuse
- take steps to protect children and adults when a safeguarding concern of any kind arises, following House of Bishops’ guidance, including immediately notifying the Diocesan Safeguarding Adviser (DSA) and statutory agencies
- offer support to victims/survivors of abuse regardless of the type of abuse, when or where it occurred
- care for and monitor any member of the church community who may pose a risk to children and adults whilst maintaining appropriate confidentiality and the safety of all parties
- ensure that health and safety policy, procedures and risk assessments are in place and that these are reviewed annually
- review the implementation of the Safeguarding Policy, Procedures and Practice at least annually.
Each person who works within this church community will agree to abide by this policy and the guidelines established by this church.
This church appoints: Tony Leach as the Parish Safeguarding Officer.
Incumbent: The Revd. Stephanie Nadarajah (Anglican Vicar)
The Revd. Paul Timmis (Methodist Minister)
Where to get help
If you have immediate concerns about the safety of someone, please contact the police and/or local authority children’s or adults Services:
Sutton Children’s Services – if you want to report abuse of children or concerns about abuse, call Sutton Children’s Services on 020 8770 6001 between 9am and 5pm, Monday to Friday or call the out of hours or weekend duty team on 020 8770 5000
Sutton Adults Services – if you want to report to report abuse of adults or concerns about abuse, call Sutton Adults Services on 020 8770 4565, available 24 hours a day.
There are also a number of helplines and charities who offer support who you may wish to contact:
- NSPCC Child Protection Helpline: 0808 800 5000 (lines free and open 24 hours): Phone if you are worried about a child.
- Child-line: 0800 1111 (lines free and open 24 hours): Phone if you are a child or young person and are worried about anything.
- National Domestic Violence Helpline: 0808 2000 247 (lines free and open 24 hours): Phone if you are experiencing domestic abuse.
- Samaritans Helpline: 116 123 (open 24 hours): Phone if you feel you are struggling to cope and need someone to talk to.
- Action on Elder Abuse Helpline: 080 8808 8141 (free phone Monday to Friday 9- 5pm)
Safeguarding – Southwark Diocese
The Diocesan Safeguarding Team, led by Kate Singleton, can be contacted as follows:
Diocesan Safeguarding Adviser, Kate Singleton
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Tel: 020 7939 9423, Mobile: 07982 279713 (for urgent matters out of hours)
Assistant Diocesan Safeguarding Advisers, Marie Daly and Louise Vernon
Email: email@example.com, Tel: 020 7939 9441, Mobile: 07946 255295
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Tel: 020 7939 9462, Mobile: 07946 255622
The current Southwark Diocesan Policies and Procedures on safeguarding are contained in the manual, ‘A Safe Church’, which can be found at https://southwark.anglican.org/safeguarding/diocesan-policies-and-procedures